In 1959, the Florida Conference arranged for the purchase of a seven and a half acre lot that became 2253 John Anderson Drive. The first public worship service was held in the rear of a 7-11 store on Ocean Shore Boulevard on May 28, 1961. Charter Membership Day was held on July 9, 1961 and the 34 charter members unanimously chose the permanent name Riverview Methodist Church. The first service in the sanctuary, which later became Fellowship Hall, was held on March 24, 1963. In 1969, the word ‘United’ was added to the Methodist Church name. In 1974, the need for an activities building was realized, built and later dedicated as the Birdsall Wing.
Over the years, mortgages were burned and buildings were dedicated. From 1961 to the present, Riverview has been served by fifteen pastors. In the 1980’s, a growing membership called for a larger sanctuary and an office complex. The first service in the new sanctuary was held on Sunday, March 8, 1987. The old sanctuary later became Fellowship Hall and was later dedicated as Harris Hall. The old social hall, the Birdsall Wing, was divided with permanent partitions for Sunday School rooms. The old addition, the Millick Wing, was converted into choir rooms and the old office building became a nursery.